IPhone and iOS firmware are a powerful combination, and with each iOS update Apple is adding more features. The only thing they haven’t added, and probably won’t, is full, unhindered access to your iOS file manager.
What’s weird is that they give you full access to the to file manager on Mac but not iOS. Back in the days when Cydia was alive, jailbreakers could install an app called iFile, a complete file manager available to anyone, just like Filza. Now that Cydia is gone, the developers have made it available through other means, and we’re going to tell you everything you need to know about this awesome app.
How to download iFile:
It is not an app that you can download through the iOS App Store, as it offers what Apple does not support. Instead, you need to do it in one of two ways: by using a third-party app store or by using Cydia Impactor.
Method 1: AppValley App
AppValley is a popular unofficial app store, offering thousands of apps and games for free. Here’s how to get iFile using AppValley:
- Download AppValley straight to your iPhone using the official link below.
- Open Settings> General> Profiles and press the AppValley Profile Link
- Press the Trust button and close the settings
- Open AppValley and type iFile in the search box
- Tap the Get button next to the app and follow the onscreen guide to install it on your device.
Method 2: The IPA file
The IPA file can be downloaded to your iPhone using a very powerful tool called Cydia Impactor. For this, you need your computer and your iPhone cable:
- First, download the iFile IPA on your computer
- Then download Cydia Impactor on your computer
- Open Cydia Impactor and connect your device
- When Cydia Impactor detected your iPhone, find the .ipa file you downloaded and drag it into Cydia Impactor
- Type in your Apple ID and wait
- When Cydia Impactor loads the file, close it and open Settings on your iPhone
- Tap General> Profiles and trust the iFile profile – you can now use the app.
When you use Cydia Impactor, because you are using your Apple ID, the app crashes within seven days. This is because Apple has revoked the app’s certificate and you will need to follow the steps above to reactivate it.
Features of the iFile application:
So what does iFile offer you?
iFile provides you with many ways to access and manage your iOS file system. The first thing it can do is let you see all types of files on your device, including:
iFile allows you to manage your media files and software in these ways:
- You can move them
- Rename them
- Copy paste
- Easily install .deb packages
- Edit configuration files and other property or text lists
- Easily import music to your iPod library
- Pack and unzip compressed files
Files can also be moved to and from your device in these ways:
- Easy management of Dropbox and FTP files
- IFile integrated web server makes it easy to upload and download files using a network or browser
- Use a Toshiba FlashAir card to view and download files
- Add multiple files to emails as attachments
- Easily mount .dmg files
- Use Bluetooth to transfer files to other devices
Additionally, iFile offers full integration with Safari Download Manager, Attachment Saver, and Celeste Bluetooth File Sharing.
iFile is arguably the most powerful file manager around. Although it’s unofficial, it’s easy to install on your iPhone or iPad, and you won’t find any other app that offers the same functionality. Yes, many apps claim to be file managers, but most don’t give you more than what Apple already provides, and most aren’t free either – iFile is.
Try; you have nothing to lose and if you really can’t, just delete it from your device. Let us know if you think there is another file manager that offers the same, or more, than iFile doe, and don’t forget to share that and about us on our Facebook page.